Mushroom Farm Growing DirectorAldergrove, BC (Canada – 60 km East of Vancouver)
O South Mill Champs – "Mushroom Creations. Responsibly Grown"
South Mill Champs is a leader among the largest mushroom growers in North America. South Mill Champs' history began four generations ago in 1932 as a family mushroom farm. In the 1950s, they began supplying Mushroom growing substrate. In 1982 the family purchased one of Pennsylvania's largest mushroom farms and soon sold its fresh mushrooms directly to the retail, wholesale, food service, and commercial markets under the "South Mill" label.
In 2018 South Mill acquired Champs Mushrooms in Aldergrove, British Columbia. Today South Mill Champs seamlessly supplies over 50 thousand tons annually of fresh, frozen, and minimally-processed mushrooms into expanded territories throughout North America.
For its Mushroom Farms in Aldergrove, BC, we are looking for a Mushroom Farm Growing Director responsible for all growing operations and implementing European knowledge and best practices.
Manage, optimize and supervise the mushroom production operations.
- Be responsible for planning, coordinating, and supervising all Growing functions, personnel, activities, and resources for single and multiple farms in Aldergrove.
- Ensure a successful and consistent operation of the growing facilities in line with current European best practices, maximizing the net revenue/m² generated by the farms.
- Provide mentoring and training in the European style of Mushroom growing to staff.
- Hold direct supervision over all department managers and supervisors, communicate expectations and assess performances.
- Conduct daily visual observation of growing farm conditions with management and staff.
- Ensure the correct process of growing to maintain consistent flow in the growing process.
- Be responsible for developing, administering, monitoring, and coordinating the Growing budget in conjunction with other senior executives.
- Ensure the implementation of safety programs and follow-through of the company's policies and standards.
- Work closely with the senior management to develop goals and make regular evaluations of the facilities' performance, plan accordingly.
- Evaluate benchmarks to determine productivity, customer satisfaction, and resource needs.
The ideal candidate will be a people-oriented manager, pro-active, and passionate about composting and growing mushrooms.
- Higher education (agriculture / biology / science related) and/or 5 years managerial experience.
- Extensive knowledge of European methods of Mushroom growing.
- Fluent in English.
- Familiar with budgets, project management, and applicable regulatory information/requirements.
- Drivers license.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and supervisory skills.
- Able to pro-actively respond to changes or failures, entrepreneurial and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent decision-making skills, able to keep the helicopter view.
- Positive, thinking ahead, and proposing (cost and quality) effective solutions.
- Proficient in technical analysis of all aspects of mushroom growing and able to make decisions based on data.
It is an interesting but challenging career opportunity with an innovative, sustainable, producing ambitious market-leading company. You will have a chance to impact the business and develop yourself further. The company offers an attractive remuneration package with many extra's (e.g., Medical, Vision, and Dental support), provides accommodation, relocation assistance, and will assist you in the immigration process. The position offers a high level of autonomy with room for a personal initiative to develop your ideas and implement European Mushroom growing knowledge.
South Mill Champs has outsourced the Recruitment and Selection for the Mushroom Farm Growing Director exclusively to CeresRecruitment. More information about the company can be found at www.southmill.com. A personality questionnaire can be part of the recruitment process.