Compost Division ManagerAldergrove, BC (Canada – 60 km East of Vancouver)
About South Mill Champs – "Mushroom Creations. Responsibly Grown"
South Mill Champs is a leader among the largest mushroom growers in North America and Canada. South Mill Champs' history began four generations ago in 1932 as a family mushroom farm. In the 1950s, they began supplying mushroom growing substrate. In 1982 the family purchased one of Pennsylvania's largest mushroom farms and soon sold its fresh mushrooms directly to the retail, wholesale, food service, and commercial markets under the "South Mill" label. In 2018 South Mill acquired Champs Mushrooms in Aldergrove, British Columbia. Today South Mill Champs seamlessly supplies over 50 thousand tons annually of fresh, frozen, and minimally-processed mushrooms into expanded territories throughout North America.
For its composting facility at Champ's Farms in Aldergrove, BC, we are looking for a Compost Division Manager responsible for overseeing the production operations and developing additional policies and procedures in line with current European composting best practices to ensure the composting facility's optimization.
Manage, optimize and oversee the production operations of the composting facility.
- Be responsible for overseeing production operations for the composting facility at Champ's Farms in Aldergrove, BC.
- Closely cooperate with the Director of Composting and the General Manager to develop and manage policies and procedures aligned with current European composting best practices to ensure the composting facility's optimization.
- Ensure the compost system uptime.
- Provide training and daily guidelines to your team and ensure that Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) are followed. Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
- Lead the composting team by fostering engagement, building on a positive working atmosphere, and assessing and improving your team members' performances.
- Conduct daily visual observation of compost condition with staff.
- Collaborate with the mushroom growing department to monitor/steer the compost quality and consistency by monitoring KPIs and data to ensure quality products and excellence.
- Create composting processes and policies aligned with South Mill Champ's Mushrooms' business goals. Reduce waste, manage labor efficiencies and machine reliability.
- Manage compost budget and implement appropriate cost controls for the composting division.
- Be responsible for establishing a positive and effective relationship with key stakeholders to develop or expand the company's business.
The ideal candidate is a people-oriented manager, pro-active, and passionate about composting and growing mushrooms.
- Higher education (agriculture / biology / science related) and managerial experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in a European mushroom compost production environment.
- Possess extensive knowledge of European methods for the overall composting process.
- Fluent in English.
- Driving license.
- Natural leadership skills are goal-oriented and able to motivate a team towards common goals.
- Able to pro-actively respond to changes or failures, entrepreneurial and problem-solving skills.
- Independent in action and decision making, able to keep the helicopter view.
- Positive, thinking ahead, and proposing (cost and quality) effective solutions.
- Analyze and make data-driven decisions, analytical and hands-on mindset.
An interesting but challenging career opportunity with an innovative, sustainable, producing, and ambitious market-leading company. You will have a chance to impact the business and develop yourself further. The company offers an attractive remuneration package with many extra's (e.g., Medical, Vision, and Dental support), provides accommodation, relocation assistance, and will assist you in the immigration process. The position offers a high level of autonomy and room for a personal initiative to develop your ideas to improve the composting division.
South Mill Champs has outsourced the Recruitment and Selection for the Compost Division Manager exclusively to CeresRecruitment. More information about the company is found at www.southmill.com. A personality questionnaire can be part of the recruitment process.